We moved in August, which is one of several reasons why I haven’t said much here lately. While I still have three boxes to unpack (and a sewing room to organize, but we won’t talk about that), I think we’re finally settled in. In case any of you are moving anytime in either the near or distant future, here are a couple of helpful suggestions:
- My first and always favorite, courtesy of my Moomer: Wrap your dishes in your dishtowels. When you run out of dishtowels, use aprons. When you run out of aprons, use hand towels and bath towels. This serves a variety of purposes. It keeps your dishes clean (no newsprint involved). It protects your dishes. And, perhaps best, it ensures that you will find your dishtowels in a timely manner.
- Put your toolbox, tape, scissors, and several Sharpies all in one place so you don’t accidentally pack them or lose them (this is, unfortunately, not quite foolproof — Howie-cat decided that the Sharpies looked interesting and tried to steal them.)
- Put your sheets and one set of towels in your dryer. It’s impossible to lose a dryer (a KitchenAid mixer, on the other hand…….well, that’s another story).
- Put clothes in your suitcase(s) instead of another box.
- And finally…….keep track of your $350 KitchenAid mixer. Normal people probably won’t have a problem with this. Some of us, well……we still haven’t found our mixer, even after Jonathan, my mom, my sister, my friend Jade, and I ransacked the entire house for it. I just had to shell out big bucks for a new one. And it hurts my soul. On the bright side, however, I found my lightweight cotton robe that disappeared in our previous move. (But, just between us, I would rather have had the mixer.)